Thursday, November 13, 2014

Lower Fat Pumpkin Bread That Doesn't Taste Awful!

A couple weeks ago one of my buddies shared a recipe she had just tried for pumpkin bread/muffins. She said it was fantastic. Well, I love all things pumpkin, so I wanted to give it a whirl. The recipe called for a cup of oil and three cups of sugar. I was a little hesitant to try it. I can't really exercise right now, and both mister and I are trying to eat better. I'm sure my friend's recipe is awesome, but I had to find a healthier option.

My Google search landed me on Skinny Taste. I LOVE this website. There are a lot of recipes with basic ingredients I usually have. Here's the original recipe. I did alter it a bit because I didn't have oil or pumpkin pie spice.


Ingredients:

-1 1/2 c pumpkin puree (a whole can for most brands)
- 1 1/4 c flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 2 T melted butter
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 t vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray.
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
Combine wet ingredients in a bowl.
Slowly add dry ingredients to wet, being careful not to over mix.
Pour (spread) into the loaf pan.
Bake for 50-60 minutes. 
Enjoy!

I cut mine into 12 slices. One slice has 131 calories, 2g fat, 27.5g carbs and 2.4g protein.


The original recipe also calls for salt. I omitted it because the butter I used was salted. I wish I had clove because I think it would have put it over the top, but mister gave this recipe the seal of approval, so I'll just leave it alone. :)

No comments: