Friday, August 22, 2014

"And Now it's Time to Build From the Bottom of the Pit...."

".....Right to the top. Don't hold back."

The injuries to my hip and knee have been the biggest personal set backs for me since I have started running. Due to issues with our insurance provider, I won't be able to seek treatment for either for a couple more weeks. This has been incredibly frustrating and defeating. I've spent the entire summer not doing something I love. Something that makes me feel so alive. Something that relieves stress and frees my mind and soul. 

It's time. It was time to get over it, put my big girl pants and get back out on the road (or treadmill). You have to walk before you can run. To me, walking was giving up. Walking is not running. Me. Who told countless people walking is great! It's still moving. Be proud. I ran a flipping marathon, and now, I'm going to walk?? Yep. 

It was time to start from the bottom. I dusted off the treadmill, dug out my running shoes and put my pride in check. I know I'm not going to be running nine minute miles any time soon. There are zero races in my foreseeable future. For the first time in two years, I'm out of shape. (Let's not get into the 20 LBs I added....) I finally convinced myself to walk. Give my body time to strengthen. Boy, did I need it! 

Walking isn't running, but it really is better than nothing. It's been very gratifying to see the mileage go up bit by bit and see the pace quicken along the way. This week, I decided to try a two minute run. Yes. Two ridiculously minuscule minutes. It was Heaven. Pure ecstasy. 

I'm not BACK back, yet. I will be. I have to give it time. Time. Time. Time. There's not a lot of it, but we have to use it wisely. Be smart. I want to run fast and far, but I'll wait. If I rush this, I'll find myself walking longer than I want. 

1 comment:

Nora said...

Good for you! I too used to have that attitude about walking (and still kind of do), but I am trying to change. Lately I've been walking during many of my runs. The heat just gets to me. But walking is still moving, and miles of any type help with fitness. I'm also far from 9 minute miles, but I'm slowly trying to get back there.