Sunday, March 23, 2014

Marathon Training: Week 12

Total mileage: 43 miles 

Monday: 8 on the treadmill

Nothing remarkable from this run other than my laziness should be noted. I had a parent teacher conference for D3 before school. I knew I'd need to use th restroom before I ran and the potties at the park are still locked up. Instead of stopping elsewhere or going home and going back to the park, I just ran on the treadmill. See? Lazy. 

Tuesday: rest

Wednesday: 5 miles on the treadmill

I didn't feel much like running at all, but talked myself into a decent five miles. I've had a headache for the better part of two weeks, and I'm not sleeping well. I was happy with the five. My knees were starting to ache a bit. I'm not going to complain if I'm this far in to training and this is the first knee pain I've had. I call it a win.

Thursday: rest

Friday: 24 gut wrenching, soul destroying miles

I wasn't nervous for this run. I was sad when I woke up. After this, I start a two week taper and will really miss these long runs. One thing I was apprehensive about was the temperature. It was 53 degrees at 8. Uh. Oh. I wasn't thrilled because I knew what the heat would mean: more water and slower times to compensate for the increased temperature. I had to adjust my game plan a bit too. Instead of stopping at my vehicle twice to refill water, I had to make a third stop. I might have made it without the third stop, but it was too risky. Run smart. 
Somewhere around mile 19, my Garmin started acting up. I was allowing myself small sips of water every half mile and mile. I knew I should be coming up on 19.5 shortly. A quick glance at my Garmin showed 19.22. Ummmm huh?? I kept an eye on it for a good thirty seconds. Time kept ticking away, but the distance never changed. Oh. My. Heck. I've never encountered a problem like this before. I stopped my Garmin and restarted it hoping that would fix the glitch, and it did. It ended up showing a mile at over fifteen minutes and and the following over nineteen minutes a mile. I can walk faster than that. In hindsight, the glitchy Garmin wasn't really a big deal because the trail has mile markers, but I really wanted it to say 24 when I was finished. It's a psychological thing. 

Saturday: rest
My legs were SORE. I suspect this is due to the increased water loss with the warmer temps. I tried to rehydrate the best I could after, but you can only drink so much. Shoot. I didn't even eat much after my run Friday because I was so full of fluids.

Sunday: 6

Go figure. 73 degrees Friday and 33 degrees Sunday. Welcome to Missouri! I'd complain about the dramatic changes, but I really don't mind. Training in this crazy Missouri weather has prepared me for all four seasons in just a few week's time.
I decided to just run at the park where it's nice and flat since my legs were still very sore. I also needed to break in a new pair of shoes. Holy cow are these shoes amazing. I seriously felt like I could run my race in them that day if need be. I can't believe how perfect they are. 

Wow. What a week. Time to start tapering!!

1 comment:

Meg @ Meg-in-Training said...

Good luck with taper. You are going to do awesome, I just know it!