Saturday, January 4, 2014

Just Eat It, Eat It

My eating habits the past couple of months have been, well, less than spectacular. I put on a few pounds. I didn't freak out like old Cecilia may have as the extra eight pounds were only noticeable on the scale. My clothes still fit, so I was ok with the little gain. 

Once I started marathon training, I knew I'd have to get back on track. I'm not necessarily looking to lose a bunch of weight. I want to make sure I am fueling my body properly to get the maximum energy output possible. With that being said, I'm at a crossroads. Currently, my calorie goal is set to lose 1.5 pounds per week which puts me at about 1500 calories before exercise. My concern is that in a few weeks, when the mileage really increases, is this going to be enough for my body? 

I suppose I can feel it out. See how my body reacts and then adjust accordingly. One thing I'm going to do that's quite a bit different than any other race? I'm only going to eat crap food on long run days. In the past, I'd eat something junky any time I ran whether it was a candy bar or a small bag of chips. Now, this doesn't mean I'm going to binge like a mad person on long run days. I'll still stay within my range, but I'll let myself enjoy a small burger, small fires, and small chocolate malt. 

What about you? How does your diet change during increased exercise periods? 

1 comment:

Julie said...

Just add your donuts to your workout ;)