Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Week 10 Donut Review: World's Fair Donuts

World's Fair Donuts is a small little shop located at 1904 Vandeventer in St. Louis, MO. A husband and wife team have been running the place since 1976. A couple of things to note if you're making the trip to World's Fair: their parking lot is minuscule and they are cash only. Their cash register looks to be a century old and adds to the charm of the place.


This glazed donut is a beast. It's sooooooo tall and I can't wait to sink my teeth into it.
My score 3 stars out of 5:  The glazed donut at World's Fair is tasty. The glaze coverage is perfect, and it's not too sweet. The dough has a very good flavor and is a little dense.


I was a little bummed World's Fair didn't have any coconut when I visited, but I was still anxious to give this cake donut a try.
My score 3.5 stars out of 5:  The icing coverage on this donut is very good. The icing itself isn't too sweet and has a great flavor. The cake portion has a slight crunch to it which I LOVE. The cake has a good flavor and is the perfect consistency.


Now, it's time for the apple fritter!
His score 2 stars out of 5:  The fritter is a good size, but is lacking the bubbly texture we look for in a good fritter. The glaze coverage was very good and not too sweet. Mister would have preferred more apple.It was a little on the light side. The dough on this was different than all of the fritters we've tried. It was cinnamon. Typically, fritters have swirls of cinnamon throughout. Mind=blown.


Holy mackerel. I thought the glazed was big. The custard is just massive!
My score 2.5 stars out of 5: The icing coverage was perfect on this donut. The icing wasn't super sweet, which I like. The dough on the custard was dense also. I would have liked a bit more custard filling. It took several bites before I was able to taste it. The custard had a different taste I haven't had at any of the other shops. At first, I thought it was more of a vanilla pudding, but I realized the custard had a hint of coconut to it.

World's Fair Donuts is a very popular place with the locals and it's easy to see why. They crank out donuts on a daily basis for a very reasonable price. These four donuts only set me back a cool $2.50! The next time we make a trip to the zoo, I think we will be stopping by World's Fair again!

1 comment:

Meg @ Meg-in-Training said...

I want to eat all these donuts. Man you make me hungry!