Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Week 7 Donut Review: Old Town Donuts in Florissant

Old Town Donuts first opened the doors to their shop in Florissant in 1968. Since then, a new owner has taken over (the brother-in-law of the original owner), and they've opened up another shop in Cottleville. 

Mister was actually referred to Old Town Donuts by the folks over at Eddie's Southtown Donuts. They said a lot of people compare them to Old Town. Well, if a donut shop makes a reference to another shop, you kind of HAVE to try it.

We are going to change the order up a bit this week. How's that for rocking your donut world??


Look. At. That. I have no words. The fritter looks fantastic and is huge.
His Score 5 stars out of 5: I believe Mister's words were somewhere along the lines of "This fritter makes me question all the other scores I've given." The texture was perfect. The apple and cinnamon combination was excellent and not lacking in amount. The glaze was on the sweeter side, but it really worked for this fritter.

A couple of the donuts aren't very pretty, but that's no fault of Old Town's. They had a long, apparently bouncy ride from Florissant to Arnold.
I had high hopes for this guy after having such a great experience with the fritter.
My score 2.5 stars out of 5:  The cake donut was very tasty, but didn't blow me away. The icing was decent but  pretty thin. The cake was a spongy type. It didn't have a lot of depth to it flavor wise. It was a little boring for me, but don't mistake that for a bad product.


This poor donut. It looks like Mister straight up man handled it.
My score 4.5 stars out of 5:   Whoa. This custard donut did not disappoint. The dough is light and not overly sweet. There was a good amount of custard filling and it was TASTY. The icing wasn't the rich type I fond of, but it was not the super sweet kind either. It was mid range.



For some reason, I have a fondness for donuts that aren't perfectly uniform, and I LOVE the looks of this glazed. Great color and great size to boot.
My score 5 stars out of 5:  The dough is almost buttery and wonderfully light. The glaze tasted amazing and wasn't thick. Excellent. 

I was pretty excited to try these tasty treats after Mister sent me a text. "Whoa.....these donuts look amazing." He told me he wasn't even hungry when he went in, but was dying to gobble them up after he arrive. 

Another donut they have that bears mentioning is their Old Fashion or Sour Cream. Holy. Heck. It's delicious. It took me back to the days of working in a donut shop. I haven't had one quite as tasty until now. 

If you're in Florissant or Cottleville, be sure and stop by Old Town Donuts. I have a feeling you won't be disappointed by anything you chose.



1 comment:

Julie said...

Sour cream donut? I'll stick with the fritter, thank you ;)