Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Week 5 Donut Review: Donut Drive-In

I can't believe I'm already five weeks in to this tasty challenge! I don't want to even THINK about all of the calories I've consumed during this quest. More donuts means more miles though! Whatever motivates you to work out, I say.

Donut Drive-In is located in south St. Louis city and is another popular local spot that I've heard nothing but great things about from friends. I was very excited when Mister said he'd swing by and pick some up for me. Please note: Donut Drive-In is a cash only business. Make sure you swing by the ATM before you stop by.



I was a little disappointed Donut Drive-In didn't have any coconut cake donuts, but I won't let that play any part in my final score. This donut looked pretty promising. It's always a good sign when the donut is properly iced. I like a hefty cake donut and this was a great size. The cake donut was very spongy and not crumbly at all even though it wasn't a particularly moist cake.
My Score 2.5 stars out of 5: The cake donut was yummy but didn't knock my socks off. The cake and the icing didn't have a lot of flavor like some of the others I've tried. Still, a good showing, I think.



I was very excited about this custard donut. It has the dark, rich icing I LOVE and was a very good size donut.
My Score 2.5 Stars out of 5: As I thought, the icing was fantastic and they didn't skimp when they covered it. I wish I could say the same about the custard. I didn't hit the payload until about three bites in to the donut. The custard was good, but there wasn't a lot of it. The yeast dough is a bit denser than I prefer, but has great flavor and isn't too sweet.


The glazed donut from Donut Drive-In looked awesome. The glaze doesn't appear to be too thick and the color is perfect. Along with the other two, the size on this one was pretty good.
My Score 3.5 Stars out of 5: This was by far the best donut I had from Donut Drive-In. As with the custard, the dough was on the dense side, but definitely not a hockey puck. The taste was great and worked well with the glaze. The glaze was a bit sweet, but it really worked well for this donut.


Last, but certainly not least, the apple fritter. The glaze looks to be on the thicker side. The fritter has a great color, but doesn't have as many "bubbles" as the Mister and I would like. (Although, really, bubbles, don't play into the taste. It's just a preference.) 
His Score 2.5 Stars out of 5: The fritter had a great texture and was cooked perfectly. There was just the right amount of cinnamon. The thicker glaze was on the sweet side, but didn't distract from the fritter. Mister only gave the fritter 2.5 stars because there wasn't a lot of apple flavor. If it had more apple, he would have ranked it a four easily.

I was pleasantly surprised by the morsels from Donut Drive-In. I stress the size of the donuts because many times I'll run across smaller items and they leave me feeling bitter. A) I want more. B) I feel like I'm getting ripped off. This is not the case at the Donut Drive-In. If you find yourself in the south city area, be sure to stop in and give them a try. Make sure to get a regular glazed!



No comments: