Saturday, October 12, 2013

Week 2 Donut Review: Harter Bakery

This week's bakery is Harter Bakery located in Imperial, Missouri. Harter Bakery is best known for it's delicious cakes. If there's an event to celebrate in the area, most likely, you'll be eating a cake from Harter Bakery.


The cake donut is up first. I was a little disappointed Harter Bakery doesn't have a coconut donut, but alas, I persevered. This donut is quite small. As you can see, there's not a lot of icing. The icing is very good. Not super sweet, which I prefer. The cake is very moist and spongy. The cake has a brighter taste. I'd say maybe a hint of lemon.
My score: 1 of 5 stars I wasn't a huge fan of this donut. The size and the lemon taste were deal breakers for me.


Time for custard! As with the cake donut, this one appears to be a bit on the small side. Other than the size, this donut looks good. The icing coverage is good and it's dark which has me hopeful that it's not super sweet. The dough for this donut is average. It's not dense, but not as soft as I like. The custard was just average for me. It didn't wow me. There wasn't a whole lot of custard either. It's possible this one was just a dud as far as the amount goes. The icing was FANTASTIC. Deep chocolaty flavor, and not sugary at all.
My score: 3 of 5 stars The icing saved this donut. Without the fantastic icing, this donut is just run of the mill. 


Good ol' glazed is up. This glazed donut was an average size. Not skimpy like the other two donuts. The glaze isn't too thick and the donut is a great, golden color. The dough is the same as the custard. Not too dense. The glaze is amazing. It's not too sweet. I want to say it's a bit buttery. Delicious.
My score: 4 of 5 stars I really enjoyed this donut. It was melt in your mouth good. 



Finally, the fritter. This fritter looks like a good fritter. It's "bubbly" which is a quality the Mister looks for in his fritters. I many fritters tend to be on the dark side, but this has a great color and doesn't appear to have a heavy glaze. Mister said the fritter was cooked to perfection. Not too doughy on the inside and the glaze was delicious. There were nice chunks of apple in it as well.
His score: 4 of 5 stars Mister prefers a blueberry fritter but said this was one of his favorite apple fritters. 

Harter Bakery makes some pretty darn tasty donuts even though they run on the small side. Their prices are very good so it doesn't make me as upset knowing it's a smaller product. Seeing as how this bakery is on my way to work, we all know I'll be stopping by here for another tasty glazed donut.

1 comment:

Krista Bey said...

Hi Cecilia, I am new to blogs, so I'm not sure how best to contact you. I came across your post on EVLT and vein removal while I was searching on the web for information on the processes. I'm scheduled to have similar procedures on Tuesday and Wednesday and I am terrified. I was wondering how you feel about the "procedures" now? Are you happy with the results? How long was your recovery? Did you develop any other varicose or spider veins after the surgery? Sorry for all the questions, but I can't seem to find much online except for some scary recovery stories. Thank you so much! Krista texasbeys@kingwoodcable.net