Saturday, October 5, 2013

Week 1 Donut Review: Tony's Donuts

It's time! It's time! It's time for weekly donut reviews! I'm soooooo super excited about this little series on my blog. I love donuts and finding another reason to eat them is A+ in my book. Let me apologize in advance for the horrible photographs. A food photographer I am not. I had no idea it was so difficult to do in the first place. I mean, it's food. You don't have to tell it to smile or hold its chin up. Sheesh. I was wrong.

First, a couple of rules for my reviews:
1) No chains- I don't even really consider donuts from chains real donuts. Sorry if I offend any one who loves the major chains in the area. I'm a donut snob. I'm not afraid to admit that.
2) After much discussion with the Mister, we decided the three donuts I should sample are white cake with vanilla icing (with coconut if we can find it because it's my favorite), plain glazed and chocolate custard filled. Mister will be in charge of the apple fritters.

The first spot on my list is an establishment called Tony's Donuts and Bakery in Hazelwood. Mister's coworkers and a few of my friends absolutely love this place. I was pretty excited to try their tasty morsels.



First up, the cake donut. This donut was a pretty decent size and looked good. You know. The appearance of a donut is REALLY important. The donut seems to have the perfect amount of icing with no thin spots. Personally, I'd prefer more coconut topping, but I won't take any points away for that. The first thing I notice right away is icing is very sweet. The actual cake donut is a good consistency not too soft but not dry and crumbly. The cake is also very sweet. 
My score: 3 of 5 stars I was pleasantly surprised by this donut. It was a tad too sweet for my liking but still very delicious. 


 The chocolate covered custard filled donut is up next. The donut seems a bit small and the icing is a paler color than a lot of chocolate icings, but it does have good coverage as with the first donut. The icing is very sweet and doesn't really taste much like chocolate. It's so sugary the icing seems to be grainy to me. The consistency of the yeast donut is very good and the custard filling was amazing. The quality of the custard was excellent and there was a decent amount of filling. I could feel that they didn't skimp with the custard when I held it in my hand.
My score: 2 of 5 stars I'm not a fan of this particular kind of chocolate icing. I love my chocolate and really want to be able to taste it. The custard saved this rating from being less than two stars.


Time for the plain glazed donut. This donut looked so good. I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into it. It has a decent amount of glaze covering. Some glazed donuts are covered with such a thick glaze and aren't appealing to me. The glaze on this donut was super sweet. The texture of the donut was great, but I couldn't get a real taste for it because of how sweet the glaze is on it.
My score: 2 of 5 stars  I gave it two because the consistency of the donut was great, but the glaze was just too sweet for my liking.


Finally, the apple fritter. If I'm being completely honest, this apple fritter doesn't look all that tasty at first glance. Mister said the same. It was a bit flat compared to a lot of fritters. It also looks to have a lot of glazing. Mister said the glaze was indeed heavy and very sweet. There was a strong cinnamon taste and very little apple. He noted the fritter seemed a bit gooey which would most likely be caused by the heavy glaze soaking into it.
Mister's score: 2 of 5 stars The Mister said it wasn't the best fritter he has had, but it definitely wasn't the worst. He prefers a fritter that's a bit more "bubbly" and has more of an apple taste.

Tony's concoctions are a bit sweeter than I prefer. I know. I know. They're donuts. Donuts are sweet! I think I was a bit let down because of all the rave reviews. I went in thinking I was going to be blown away. While Tony's didn't knock my socks off, they have a good product, and it's still a place I would patron the next time I'm in the area.


6 comments:

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

I look forward to this series too! But coconut? Yuck!

Julie said...

Check out the Ex Cop Donut Shop on Telegraph by Oberweis in Oakville - I hear its good!

PS - team Apple Fritter :)

Jen said...

OMG - you're killing me! I've had a prego craving for old fashioned donuts all week! I may need to go to Quiktrip or somewhere stat!

Jen said...

OMG - you're killing me! I've had a prego craving for old fashioned donuts all week! I may need to go to Quiktrip or somewhere stat!

Cecilia said...

Julie- It's on my list. :)
Jen- When I'm in a pinch, QT is my go to for a donut fix. I was surprised at how tasty they are. Love their old fashioned.

Jenni Brink said...

Noooooooooo! I guess I hyped it up too much for you. :-( And I'm hoping that while you didn't review it, you tried the devil's food donut. My all time favorite (besides a long john from QT).