Wednesday, October 23, 2013

LCJ

diet 
       n.  the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats
       n.   a special course of food to which one restricts oneself, either to lose weight or for medical reasons.
       v.   restrict oneself to small amounts or special kinds of food in order to lose weight

I don't care to use the word diet as a verb. Dieting typically means a short period of time. Nothing lasting. What do you do after you've reached your goal? Start eating all of the bad foods again? It's very possible you'll put on any of the weight you may have lost. So, you diet again? Sounds more like torture to me.

I didn't diet. I started a Life Changing Journey.

I embarked on my LCJ a couple of years ago. It was a decision I made to make permanent, lasting changes to my lifestyle. Many of my friends and family would comment about me dieting. I'd politely tell them I wasn't dieting. This was a new life for me. I was going to stick to this. Yes. I am making changes to my actual diet (the foods that I eat), but I plan to make them last a lifetime.

The first step I took was cutting out the snack type foods and processed foods. This was very difficult for me. I stopped buying potato chips, cookies, etc. I couldn't have those in the house for the kids because I knew that I would eat them. I felt like I was punishing the kids. Why should they go without just because I'm trying to be healthy. Uh. Hello? They don't need that junk either! They weren't being punished. They were learning new, healthier habits as well. Do we eat chips and cookies? Occasionally, but they aren't items we keep on hand regularly.

Another important key to a successful LCJ? Exercise. I didn't want to do it. I had no desire to sweat it out, but I wasn't seeing results in the mirror or on the scale. Something had to change. So, I started moving. It doesn't matter if you bike, walk, run, skate, hop, jump. Your speed doesn't matter. As long as you are moving, you're going to see results.

If you're not happy with the way you look or the way you feel, start a LCJ. Don't diet. Dieting is temporary and will leave you more frustrated over time.

No comments: