Friday, October 4, 2013

How I Got Fluffy



I was a big girl. It was no one's fault but my own. I ate poorly, and I never exercised. Well, unless running to the fridge is a work out, which it may as well have been considering how easily I'd get winded. I have another idea of what aided me in putting on the pounds.

I'm a mom. Have been for a few years now. Something I've noticed since I became a mom? I eat fast. I mean, I'll hoover the food down, fast. Moms don't have a lot of time to leisurely enjoy the finer things in life like pbj sammies or breakfast burritos. (These just happen to be the two foods that came to mind because I'm majorly craving both a lot lately.) We find ourselves cramming our food down our throats over the sink in between loads of laundry and burping babies. Time is such a valuable thing, and we have so little of it. How did this make me bigger?

I'd eat more food. It takes time for the brain to register the sensation of being full. After I scarfed down the sammie, I thought I was still hungry, so I'd grab another or follow it with a pop tart chaser. A short time after I've just consumed 700-900 calories in a mere five minutes, I feel queasy. Why? Because I ate too much, too fast. Had I taken my time, I probably would have stopped at the one sandwich, but because I virtually inhaled it, my brain was saying, "GIVE ME MORE" So, I did. This is something I still battle to this day. I know that I need to take my time, but I feel so rushed. The difference now is I know that I may still feel hungry, but I'll slam a glass of water because if I try to cram any more food in, I'm going to feel sick in half an hour.

Another bad food habit I picked up after becoming a mom is clearing plates. All of the plates. The kids' plates. Mine. Shoot, even the Mister's. I hate wasting food. Ok. Let's be real. I hate wasting anything at all. It physically pains me to throw any food away left on the family's plates. As I have learned in this journey, every bite counts. Every. Single. One. So, not only had I just eaten more than I should off my own plate, I am now scouring the other plates clean. Adding on even more calories that I did not need.

This has been something that was easier for me to remedy. I just stopped putting less food on my plates. Occasionally, this will back fire and the kids will eat everything on their plates leaving me a little hungrier than I had intended. Well, maybe not hungry. But definitely less full than I would like. And you know what? That's ok. I'm not wasting a way to nothing, but I don't feel sick to my stomach from over eating. Again.

2 comments:

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

I'm horrible about "cleaning" up and eating what AR eats.

Cecilia said...

I've always been really bad about cleaning plates. It gets worse the more kids you have. Lol.