Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Arnold Days Parade

A week and a half ago, I decided to take the kiddos to the local parade in town. I hadn't been in eight years, so I was quite excited. I'm ashamed to admit that in his 5 years on this planet, I have not taken D3 to a single parade. I know. I know. Huge parenting fail.

This particular parade route is only one mile long, so space is quite limited. That morning, I had to take T to the doc. He had an infection in his knee and it was quite uncomfortable for him. Needless to say, we got a later start heading over to the festivities than I had originally planned.

Traffic. Was. Awful. We sat for 30 minutes to travel half a mile. I started rethinking my prior plan for parking. The area I was hoping to park in was in the middle of the route. I was afraid the road would shut down before we even made it to our destination. It dawned on me there are two businesses very near the parade route that are closed on Sundays. Perfection.

Luckily, many people were headed to the city park so we had no difficulty getting into this particular parking lot. It did require a bit of a walk, but it was a gorgeous day and wouldn't be more than half a mile. This turned out to be a brilliant parking situation when it came to leave.

The parade itself was average. There weren't a lot of actual floats, but I knew that going in to it. It did keep the boys entertained. A is 13 so she's too cool for everything, including the brief walk from the car to where we set up shop.

On to the photos!






 D3's favorite. The baton twirler.




 
A couple of things to point out. I was a little embarrassed for the city when the Budweiser Clydesdale horses received a bigger ovation than the Marines. Seriously, people?? Yes. The horses are cool, but IT'S THE MARINES.

The crowd at the parade was ridiculous. I don't mean the volume. I mean the people themselves. The parade takes place on a four lane road with the actual route being in the center turn lane. Before the parade was over, children were darn near in the center lane and if you were seated at the edge, you couldn't see much of anything. I heard very few parents telling their kids to scoot back out of the way. Something that would not have happened 20 years ago. We decided to skedaddle at that point. My brood was tired of being blocked and the parade was nearly over any way.

All in all, we had a lot of fun. Will we attend next year? Still to be determined.

What's your favorite parade?

No comments: