Sunday, May 1, 2011

go! St. Louis Half Marathon recap

HERE YOU GO ALYSSA!! :o) She keeps reminding me to that I had not posted a recap yet. In all fairness, since the race, I have had the internet maybe 7 days. It has been a huge pain to get up back up and running, but we are good to go now.

I laid out my gear the night before. I wanted to make sure I had everything needed. Garmin and phone charged. Cute purple shirt with cute matching head band. I also painted my nails a cute purple to match. It made me faster. Maybe.

I didn't get as many photos as I would have liked. Poor planning. I wasn't thinking. I was just in the moment I suppose. I met up with Della and her aunt Della. The only thing I was really worried about going into the start of the race was the temperature. I can handle the rain and the wind. My last few runs had been quite blustery. At start time, it was already 70+. This was the one factor I hadn't trained for and there really was no way for me to.

The Dellas and I started out pretty good. We were pacing around 10:15-10:30 for the first few miles. I don't remember when I broke away from them. I thought they were close behind, but when I looked around I couldn't find them. I was sad because I didn't want to run this alone, but I had to focus on what I was there to do: finish the race.

Mile 6.5 is where Mr. 'man Clan and Crash were set up. Yep. We brought the youngin' which the Mister said he will not be doing again any time soon. :o) It was such a relief to see familiar faces in a sea of strangers. Definitely lifted my spirits at that point. Around mile 7, I decided it was time to walk and chow on some sport beans. I didn't feel like I needed them, but I thought it may have been a good idea. I'm sure glad I did.

Mile 8 is where Jen and Alyssa were stationed. Again, really great to see some faces I knew. They were also handing out wet towels and let me tell you what. That was amazing. I dropped mine around 10.5 and nearly cried. That towel was such a saving grace for me. I also met up with Jenn at that time. She was running the second leg of the relay race. She's the one that made my kick butt head band. I big pink puffy heart it. Side note: I really would like to do a relay at some point.

Somewhere around mile 10 is when it all started to fall apart for me. I was walking more than I wanted. I was getting dehydrated. I had been drinking water, not enough, but I started to feel lightheaded. I also started to get cold sweats. I was definitely a little worried I was going to be one of the people on the side of the course getting an IV. Seriously. It happened to a lot of people that day. I decided to start chowing down on the sport beans. I wasn't really sure if they had what I needed ie: electrolytes. Turns out they did, and snarfing down more was a really good idea. I stopped at every water station and slammed 3 glasses and filled my bottle a bit. I don't remember much of the last 3 miles. I remember the hills and seeing the finish line. I remember thinking there is no way in Hell I'll be able to run across that line. But I did. I finished with a time of 2:21:16. I had a goal of finishing between 2:15-2:45 so I definitely am happy about that.

I thought after this race I would make up my mind about whether or not I'll do a full. I still haven't made that decision. I don't know if I'll do go! again either. I may. Perhaps. Only because I want to see if I can beat my old time.

I trained well for this race. I trained hard. I drug my body to a point I never thought I'd be. I was unprepared for the temperatures that day, but so was every other runner. I know now to drink more water and eat more sport beans (I don't drink gatorade). I would not have been able to cross that finish line without the help from my awesome friends and family. Thank you for believing in me every step of the way. Thank you for having faith in me even when I had none. I ran 13.1 miles. I did something I thought impossible just 6 months ago. On to the next: May 22. Yes. That's right. I signed up for 5 half marathons without running one. I'm glad I did though.

My name is Cecilia. I like running. I'm a runner. I ran my first half marathon. I'm looking forward to many more.


Angie said...

That is awesome! What an accomplishment! So proud of you!

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

YAH for FINALLY posting this! :P You totally rocked this race and your training was AWESOME! Very proud of you lady and I think you'll do a full-that's my prediction!

Della Mac said...

I am so proud of you! You rocked it. I agree with Alyssa you will run a full and you will rock it too! Keep at it girlie! I can't wait till May 22nd!

Andie G said...

I've been waiting for this post as well.
You're such an incredible woman. I could not have done this even at my healthiest and most active time in my life. Let me know in advanced about your next local one and you might just have some team CC cheerleader.