Monday, March 7, 2011

It's Been a While

I haven't been on a scale in over a month. It's been a pretty liberating thing. I'm not tied down to a number. I have no clue how much weight I have lost, if any. I don't know the number of inches I have lost. Ya know what? I'm ok with it. What I do know is that I am down two pant sizes. I went from a bra size of 40 DDD to a 38 DDD. I'm out of most XL shirts and into just a L. My bust is pretty large hence the reason for not being able to get away from all XL. It's ok though.

The most important thing about not weighing in? I haven't binged or purged in nearly two months. This is the longest I have been "sober" in over a decade. It's an amazing feeling. I'm not healed. I'll never be fully recovered. I'm certain I'll always have these demons living in me, but they are under control.

I thought I would share some advice that has been working for me. I'm definitely not an expert of a professional. I'm just a girl who is trying to figure this damn thing out.

** Every bite really does count. If you are trying to lose weight, sadly, every bite counts, when it's the "bad stuff." Fruits, veggies, etc are pretty much ok. The "bad stuff" I'm referring to are usually processed foods or ones that are higher in fat. Did you know that one mini Reeses Peanut Butter Cup has 44 calories?? Yep. You may be *just* eating 3 of them, but do the math.

** You CAN eat the bad stuff. It's called moderation. I truly believe in this. If you do not allow yourself a little something naughty, you will end up binging on it when you finally have it. I eat french fries, but just a few at a time. I allow myself A chicken nugget, but just one. In doing this, I've found something very interesting, the foods that I thought I couldn't live without, don't taste as good as I remembered. The pb cups were just eh, okay.

** Drink water. Lots of water. I know a lot of people who say they don't like water, but they need to start. Water is amazing. I feel 100 million times better when I am consuming enough water. Often times, our body tells us we are hungry when in fact we are thirsty. True. If I eat something and think I am still hungry after, I slam a glass of water. I soon find that I wasn't nearly as hungry as I thought I was.

** Watch what you eat. Seriously. Check it out. Look it up. Research what the nutritional content is. Did you know a sausage mcmuffin while cheap at $1 has 22 grams of fat? Gulp. That's nearly half the fat many people are supposed to eat in one day. May make you think twice. I know it has me. Personally, I count my calories. I do this so I know that I am getting enough. I'm not too worried about going over most days, but it is not good to be too far under.

** Yes, there is such a thing as not enough calories. If you think you are rocking by only eating 1000 calories a day, you may not be. This can actually cause your metabolism to slow down. Slow metabolism means slower to no weight loss.

** Remember why you are eating. You are not eating just because it tastes good. You are eating to fuel your body. I follow an amazing woman on Twitter who is the author of 263 and Counting. She is a huge inspiration. She tweeted something one day that makes so much sense: Put in junk food, get junk energy. Eat good foods, get good energy. Eureka!! She's right. I feel so much better now that I am eating foods that are good for me instead of just crap.

** It's not a diet. Don't call it a diet. I don't like that D word. I cringe when people comment that I am still dieting. I'm not dieting. This is a lifestyle change. These are choices I have made that I plan on continuing for the rest of my life.

** Exercise. Do it. You will have every excuse in the book to NOT do it. I challenge you. When you come up with a reason to not do it, show yourself you CAN do it. Get your butt out there and do it. You can find a way. Think I'm wrong? I thought for the longest time I couldn't because I had Crash hindering. The fix? I started going to the track to run. The kiddos could play while I did my thing. When the older 2 went to their dad's, I'd push in in the stroller. Where there's a will, there's a way.

** Accidents happen. You are going to slip up. It will happen. We are human and I haven't met a single one of us that is perfect. Try not to get hung up on it. It was ONE bad choice. If you flub on lunch, you don't have to continue that to dinner. Dinner is the time to right the ship. You have the option to start over the next time you eat.

** NO EXCUSES and ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. If you take nothing else from this post, take these two tips. Lose the excuses. Once you do, you will do so many amazing things. You will go so much farther than you ever thought possible. I promise you this. It takes a while but you will reach a point where you WANT to exercise. You will automatically make the right food choices.

** Find a friend. I'll leave you with this final thought. Find support. Don't be afraid to get help. There are people just like YOU who want to do the same thing. There are people who WANT to help YOU. They are out there, don't be afraid to find them.

3 comments:

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Great tips Cece! You're doing awesome.

Angie said...

GREAT post!!!!!

Megan said...

This is an amazing post! I'm so proud of you and so thankful to have your support in this journey. You are doing a great job, just keep following your own advice because you are 100% right. :-)