Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The People Under the Stairs

Well technically we aren't UNDER the stairs. We are just downstairs. "What the heck are you talking about??" Dear friends, I am referring to my children and myself. My hubby works nights (11pm- sometime in the morning). To aid in giving him a more peaceful sleeping environment, the kiddos and I hang out in the family room in the basement. Every.single.week.night. I would hate to compare it to a prison sentence, but there are really quite a few similarities. Lol. Ok, so not really, but sometimes it feels that way.

My husband works in shipping. There really aren't a lot of day shifts in his industry. I am totally cool with that. However, there are some shifts that are more desirable than others. I am not particularly fond of his current shift. The previous shift he was on was from about 5pm-2am. He made the switch nearly a year ago. It really wreaked havoc on our lives at the time. "What would we do with Crash? How would Tater and Grace get to school?" Cooler heads prevailed and we were able to resolve the conflicts. I never imagined the other problems this new shift would cause.

D is not sleeping nearly as much. He's having a very hard time falling and staying asleep during daylight hours. It is also VERY difficult to keep three kiddos confined to the basement, quietly. It's hard to get three kids to do ANYTHING quietly. Grace and Tater are usually pretty good about entertaining Crash while I run upstairs to cook dinner. Crash cannot come upstairs because he runs straight for his daddy's room and starts knocking on the door and shouting. This would actually be a lot funnier if daddy didn't wake up. Lol.

The kids are not able to have friends stay the night. Friday is the only ideal night for the kids to have buddies sleep over because we are so freaking busy on Saturdays and Sundays. I suppose we could let them stay the night, but I would feel awful about getting onto them for being too loud and having too much.

Crash is not sleeping through the night. He typically falls asleep around 8 or 9. My hubby starts getting all of his work stuff together around 9:45 and he has difficulties with doing this quietly. He usually wakes Crash up. It doesn't help that I have to get Crash up at 5 am to take him to work with me. He is accustomed to waking up at this time, so there is no sleeping in at our house.

My hubby and I talk less. When he worked the earlier shift, we would be able to chat for a little while and even talk on the phone. Not so much any more. As he is getting up to go to work, I am going to bed. We pretty much communicate through text messages. It is not the best situation, but we make it work.

Lately, the hubs has become very unhappy with his job. I pray every night that he has the strength and guidance to make it through each day. Yes, he has a family to support, but he cannot live every day feeling so miserable. So, while he is battling his demons and deciding what is best for him, I will patiently wait and support him in whatever he decides to do. I love him and I just want him to be happy.

4 comments:

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

That's got to be hard for EVERYONE! I'll keep you guys in my thoughts and prayers. In the meantime, enjoy under the stairs!

Angie said...

I can somewhat relate to the talking less. My hubs used to work nights from 10:30 PM TO 6:30AM when he was a cop on the road. Now that he's a detective he works either 9-5 which is great, or 2:30 to 10:30pm, which blows. He sleeps while I'm at work and he comes home and i'm asleep. Not alot of time to communicate. But we do the best we can, what else can you do. Hubs doesn't like his job alot of the time too, so I hope D can get thru it, for the sake of the fam. To be out of work right now woul be so scary.

Cecilia said...

You are so right, Angie. I keep reminding him of how VERY fortunate we are. You can either change it or accept it, but you have to make a choice. I guess I just feel bad because I can't fix it for him. Lol. And, the best part of staying in one room in the house: the other rooms don't get dirty!!!!!

Joline said...

I imagine that would be rough. I know I am completely spoiled that my husband has regular hours and sometimes I think about how hard it would be if he (or I) worked strange hours. He also doesn't care for his job. We just keep waiting for the economy to brighten back up.