Friday, October 16, 2009

Frugal Friday Tip

If I am going to make this a weekly feature, I should really try to come up with some sort of cute logo. LMAO! We will see about that.

Today's tip to save you money is pack a lunch. I know. Very elaborate and high tech. We pack lunches and snacks for so many different things.



I pack a dinner for my hubby to take to work every night. I take breakfast to work with me for Crash and me. Tater and Grace bring their lunches to school nearly every day. As a special treat, I will let them buy the tray lunch occasionally. Not only does this save your bank account, but you know that your kids are also getting a nutritious, balanced meal instead of one packed with carbs and fat. If we have a long day planned to the zoo or the park, I almost always pack a lunch for us or a the very least some snacks. Food at amusement parks is soooooo darn expensive.

These days, there are so many different vessels for your lunch:
traditional brown bag
Bento Boxes


reusable lunch sacks
I really love the Bento style boxes, but they are a little pricey for me. My kids have slightly larger insulated lunch boxes. They aren't very cute, but the cute ones were also too pricey for me. LOL. See the trend?

My kids are super boring. Given the choice, they will pick pbj almost every time. Ok. Well, not really. Grace eats only peanut butter. Tater eats peanut butter and jelly. Crash eats jelly. LOL. Weird. For a change, they love it when I make ham and cheese roll ups. It's super easy: ham cubes, cheddar cheese and a tortilla. Fancy. :o)

What's your favorite lunch to pack?

1 comment:

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Thanks for the tip last Friday! I was checking out the per ounce on every item and Matt had decided to go with me so he was rolling in eyes down every aisle!

I have a green lunch bag (like the last one shown), right now I take half PBJ sandwich, some sort of chips, fruit, fruit snacks and a cereal bar but I space it out from 11am-2pm at work.

Hubs has an actually cooler that I pack his lunch in. He gets either sandwich or soup (just switched to soup this week), fruit, a carb (Wheat Thins, Cheez-Its, chips, etc...) and a cereal bar (the cereal bars are our desserts)plus one Powerade and like 3 bottles of water.

Definately MUCH cheaper than eating out, that's for sure!!!