Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cutting Costs in the Home

I subscribe to All You magazine. I LOVE it because it has a million high value coupons. I was able to score a pretty good deal through another money saving website. I think I paid $17 for a two year subscription. Not too shabby.

The other day I received my October edition All You magazine and I found some tips that I wanted to share. I am always looking for ways to cut costs and save money. I tried finding it on All You's website, but I was not able to. I suggest you run out and grab your copy. I think you are only able to purchase it from Wal-mart.

Here are a few of my favorite tips from the article by Josh Garskof:

-Close closet doors to lower the square footage of area you are heating and cooling. It's just a little tip, but it could save you $50 a year. Every little bit counts.

- Make your own cleaning solutions. You can find many different recipes for cleaning solutions using items you may already have around the house. All You suggests thegreenguide.com. You can save around $50 a year and you have the added bonus of knowing your little ones and pets will not be harmed by harsh chemicals.

-Install ceiling fans. In the winter, run it on low in a clockwise direction. Reverse it in the summer. This will allow you to adjust your thermostat by a couple of degrees depending on the season. This can save you $100 a year.

-Plant a deciduous tree on the south, west or east side of your house. Once the tree is full grown it will offer shade for you roof. In the winter, the tree will lose its leaves, so you will be able to get maximum sunshine. This tip could save you $120 a year.

- Replace your air conditioning filters every month during the summer. This helps keep the air flow from being blocked and helps the unit run more efficiently. The savings can be 1-2% of your cooling costs.

One big thing we have been doing to help cut costs is stay in the family room downstairs. The kiddos and I stay down here so that hopefully the hubs will get a little more sleep. Since this is such small area, I bump the thermostat up a few degrees and turn on a fan to help keep cool. I think in the winter we may get a small space heater to save on heating cost. With the cooler temperatures, we were able to shut the air off all together. We save 40% from last month's bill.

2 comments:

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Awesome tips! You're right...every little bit help. Matt will be happy to learn about the closing closet door thing because I NEVER do and it drives him nuts!

Alaina @ Three Ladies and a Dad said...

Does the space heater save quite a bit of money? We are renting an older home and was wondering.