Saturday, September 5, 2009

Waffle Wednesday

Our household LOVES waffles. We had been without a waffle maker for quite some time. My hubby decided to use our Target gift card to purchase a waffle maker. We have definitely put it to use! Every Wednesday is going to be Waffle Wednesday at our house. I am going to try various waffle recipes to see which we like the best. The first week, I just used the store bought mix my hubby picked up while he was at Target. The second week I used my mother's recipe, which I will post soon. This week I decided on this recipe I found at Food Network. The recipe is entitled Waffle of Insane Greatness and I did alter it slightly. I quadrupled it and added extra flour. I was concerned the recipe was too thin. If you follow the recipe they have, I think your waffles will be even fluffier. Mine were a tiny bit more dense, but not as dense as my mother's recipe.


Waffle of Insane Greatness:

* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup whole milk or buttermilk
* 1/3 cup vegetable oil
* 1 egg
* 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
* 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
* Butter and syrup, for serving

Directions

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well. Add the milk, vegetable oil, egg, sugar and vanilla and mix well. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.

Preheat a waffle iron. Do not use non-stick spray on the waffle iron; the oil in the batter will allow the waffle to release easily. Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles. Serve immediately with butter and syrup.

This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.


These were pretty tasty waffles. My hubby thought they were the best ones I have made so far. I recommend spreading the batter around so you get a complete waffle. I also leave mine in a little longer. We like ours crispy. Next time I make them, I think I will add a tiny bit more sugar and vanilla.

4 comments:

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Sounds insanely delicious!!! Enjoy Waffle Wednesday!

Katie said...

Love days like that. Can't wait until my kids are old enough for things like this.

Maria said...

Yay for waffle Wednesday. We have a pancake Sunday tradition. :-)

Danny said...

I love your waffles but I miss Waffle House Wednesday