Saturday, August 1, 2009

I am the worst mom ever.

The one time I don't have my phone on me all day, and I miss an important call. Or several. I was too lazy to go down and get it while I was cooking dinner. Nobody is going to call, I assume. I am an idiot. I got an awful call from my daughter that Tater had been bitten by a dog and they were going to take him to the emergency room. I could hear the panic in her voice and instantly my heart starts beating like crazy. I can't tell you all the things that run through your head when you get a call like this. Is he ok? How did it happen? Why did it happen? Why didn't I have my phone on me? Do my kids now think that I was ignoring them? I start crying thinking about how I failed them in this tiny little way. I finally got the call fifteen minutes later and was able to make it to the emergency room. Fifteen minutes sooner, I could have met them at the house.

I listened to the voice messages my daughter left me. They made me cry too. I could hear how scared she was, nervous. I can't help but think she's angry with me because she can't get a hold of me. No parent ever wants their child to be hurt. You would trade places in an instant to ease their pain. I instantly blame myself. What could I have done to prevent this? Probably nothing. I wasn't there. It wasn't my house. It wasn't my neighbor. It wasn't my dog. Tater was just being a kid, doing kid things, not hurting anything or anyone. Sometimes these things happen. I can't control everything. I can't stop everything. I'm not a superhero, but it would be nice if I were. It is hard accepting that as parents, we cannot protect our kids at all times. We have to let them live. We can't keep them in a box where we know they will be nice and safe. Boy, the emotional issues that would cause! LOL.

Tater is doing well. I still contend that he could have used a few stitches, but the doc in the e.r. said no. He is on antibiotic to prevent infection and will not have to get rabies shots. Thank goodness the dog's owner had enough sense to immunize his dog. I am just very grateful that Tater's accident didn't turn out like so many of those tragic dog bite cases. We are very fortunate. I just hope this doesn't cause him to be afraid of dogs now. I would hate for him to live in fear. Only time will tell.

4 comments:

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

That's crazy that he got bite by a dog...I'm glad he's okay. From all your other posts about your children, I can tell you are a good mom so don't fret!

Katie said...

You are not a bad mom. You are a great mom. These things happen. I think it's good to not have your phone on you all the time. It was just an accident.

For the record I was bit in the face by a dog when I was little. Lots of stitches and lost my 2 front teeth b/c of it. I'm not afraid of dogs, just more aware.

Mary said...

Yikes! I'm sure that was a terrifying experience. And I echo Katie-you are definitely not a bad mom! Like you said, there's nothing you could have done and you got there as soon as you could. What a relief that the bite was relatively minor.

Angie said...

YOU ARE A GREAT MOTHER!!!!! I still can't believe that freaking dog bit him. errrrrrrr we'll get it worked out and Taylor will be fine in the end. The kids are so lucky you are their mommy!!! Love you!