Friday, February 13, 2009

Pizza Burgers on garlic toast

This is an original recipe. Well, I mean, how difficult is it to really make a burger? I only put that disclaimer because I don't really measure anything when I cook. So, if I say use 4 cloves of garlic and you think that might be too much: reduce it!! I happen to love garlic and onion. Yum!

Pizza Burgers:
2 lbs ground turkey
3 small cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon oregano*
1/2 teaspoon basil*
3 tablespoons tomato paste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Be careful not to over mix it. This will cause the meat to become chewy. Form into patties and cook in a skillet over med-low heat. I put it on a lower heat because it is poultry and I wanted to make sure that it would cook through without burning the outside.

Tomato Basil Sauce:
1 can diced tomatoes (not sure on the ounces, I just know it isn't the big can)
3 small cloves garlic, minced
1/2 small onion, finely diced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
remainder of tomato paste from burgers
2 bay leaves
1 cup chicken stock or broth

I put the tomatoes into a food processor to chop them up a little bit. I didn't want my sauce to be chunky. Preheat skillet over medium heat. Add a tiny bit of oil, onions, bay leave and garlic. Saute just until onions are translucent. Add the remaining ingredients. Combine very well. Bring to a simmer. Cook for a couple of minutes more on medium and the reduce heat to low. Stir occasionally

Garlic toast:
french bread
4 tablespoons margarine or butter (covered 6 large pieces of bread)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch of salt

Melt the butter. Add the garlic powder and salt to taste. Use a pastry brush to spread on the bread. Toast in the oven at 350 just until crispy.

Place the burger on a slice of garlic toast. Top with sauce and a little mozzarella cheese, if you would like. Place another slice of garlic toast on top.

Enjoy!!!

* When using dry herbs, crush them in the palm of your hands. It helps to release more of the flavor. You could also use fresh herbs here but you will need a larger quantity. I don't really use a lot of fresh herbs, so if I had to guess I would say bump it up to at least a tablespoon of each chopped. It's just a guess though.

No comments: