Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bruschetta Chicken

This sounds like a fancy pants recipe, but this is so simple. It only requires a few ingredients and tastes wonderful. My family loves it. I found the original recipe at ......and a cookie for dessert. I have made this three times. I think the final time was the best, hands down.
The first time I used the stuffing mix, but I really didn't care for it. My idea was to make my own bread cubes and season them accordingly. Then I realized, Hey, croutons would be a really good substitute. My hubby agreed that it tasted MUCH better.


Original recipe:
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 pkg. (6 oz.) STOVE TOP Stuffing Mix for Chicken
1/2 cup water
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 cup KRAFT 2% Milk Shredded Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese

HEAT oven to 400°F. Mix tomatoes, stuffing mix, water and garlic just until stuffing mix is moistened.
LAYER chicken, basil, cheese and stuffing in 3-qt. or 13x9-inch baking dish.
BAKE 30 min. or until chicken is cooked through.

My adaptation:
1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes (petite diced or dice finer in food processor)
1 pkg. croutons (any that you love)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tsp. dried basil leaves
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 c mozzerella
1/4 c grated parmesan

The rest of the instructions are the same. I crushed my croutons slightly. I had purchased the larger ones and I didn't want huge hunks of bread. I also seasoned the chicken breast lightly with salt and pepper. I didn't go crazy because I find croutons and cheese pretty salty, but I think it was the little something extra that was missing the last time I made it. The chicken tasted a little bland without it. I also adder oregano because I love the flavor. I left out the water. Canned tomatoes have a pretty high content of water, and when you cook them, the water is drawn out. I didn't want a terribly "wet" dish. I added an extra clove of garlic because I love it. I recommend this quick easy dish on a night you feel rushed or just tired. I make it with either rice or some sort of pasta. It's yummo!

1 comment:

Katie said...

That sounds SO good. I'm definitely going to have to try it.