Monday, December 22, 2008

Removing crayon from clothing

When I typed "How to remove crayon from clothes" in Google, I found several answers. Once again, I wasn't about to brave the wind or the crazies at the store, so I needed to use what I had on hand. If you don't have the exact brand I used, I don't think it will matter. Of course, I could be wrong.

Step 1. I treated EVERY single red area with Shout stain remover. I didn't have much left in my bottle so I was only able to do a pair of Tater's jeans, Grace's shirt, D's work pants and Little D's shirt. Let this soak for about thirty minutes.

Step 2. I grabbed some dish detergent. I believe mine is Ajax. Yeah, that's right. It's the cheap one. It still works and I'm not allergic to it. Palmolive is a little pricey and gives me a rash anyhow. LOL. Soak the spots with dish detergent.

Step 3. I decided to work the detergent in with my fingers. I'm not sure if this is actually necessary, but I figured it couldn't hurt. Make sure to put one hand behind the stain (if you just start scrubbing away, you will actually cause the stain to seep through to the other side of the item). Let sit for 10 minutes.

Step 4. Wash the clothing in the HOT water cycle. I'm pretty sure this is the most important step to this whole process. Use extra laundry detergent.

Step 5. Check clothes for stains. If stains are gone, go ahead and run through a rinse cycle to get out the extra soap. If the stains are still present, repeat the process.

I was able to do this just one time and I had pretty good success. Little D's shirt has a tiny bit of red on it, but it is barely noticeable. Seeing as how he will probably outgrow the shirt in three days anyway, I'm not too concerned. The crayon came completely out of everything else. I have not gone back to the store yet to purchase more Shout. I still need to work on the rest of the load that is newly colorized. I have high hopes. One site said to use WD-40 on the clothes too. I can't imagine the stench this would produce. Thank goodness this method worked out for me.

No comments: