Sunday, December 21, 2008

Dryer tips

Obviously, first and foremost you should always check pockets to make sure they are empty. Being slightly lazy, I do not always do this. Shame on me. I will give you a couple of tips on cleaning out a nasty dryer. In the past 4 months I have had gum (not my family's fault) and crayon in my dryer. I'm becoming an expert. LOL. Thank goodness for the Internet. I know there are many ways to skin a cat, but these are what I used and what worked.

1. Gum on dryer drum
First, I tried just scrubbing with a wet rag. This did nothing at all. I thought I might be able to scrape the gum off, but I had no such luck. The next thing I tried was a dryer sheet. You need to turn your dryer on high for about 10 minutes. Grab a dryer sheet and run it under water. Scrub the drum of the dryer with the dryer sheet. I was shocked at how amazingly simple this was. I didn't really even have to scrub.

2. Crayon on dryer drum
The first thing I tired was a Magic Eraser. These things work for a lot of things and several websites recommended it. The Magic Eraser was less than magical. It did absolutely nothing. I was going to try WD-40 but we did not have any and I was not about to take Little D out in this blustery, cold weather. I decided to try nail polish remover. Just for fun, I poured a little bit in the drum. The crayon came off INSTANTLY. I ended up using a whole bottle because that one little crayon made a HUGE mess. To make sure I removed it all, I threw in an old white towel and turned it on high. I checked it after 15 minutes and the towel had no pinkness at all!!! The drum has the faintest hint of pink, but nothing like it was. I should have taken a picture. It was on every square inch.

The next post will be about removing crayon from clothing. Believe it or not: you can get crayon out of clothes! I know, I was shocked too.

1 comment:

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

Thank you for the home remedies! I will be contacting you with any crisis at my house in the future!