Monday, December 15, 2008

Chimichangas

D has been begging me since last month to make these things. They really aren't anything fancy. My family does love all things Mexican though. I make a menu at a month at a time, and every Monday is devoted to Mexican. Bear with me. The picture is AWFUL. I'm not the greatest photographer in the world, but I want to be one day. This really isn't a healthy meal....at all. I mean, it's fried. I say everything in moderation. I used smaller tortillas, so just eating one and paring it with a salad would be a great idea. To cut fat, you can use black beans, fat free cheese, fat free sour cream, etc. Or you could leave out all the extras too. This meal is so versatile.


Chimichangas

1 pound ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef)

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 small onion, diced

salt and pepper to taste

flour tortillas (any size is fine, just depends on what you want)

Oil for frying


Optional Toppings/Fillings

Salsa

Cheddar cheese

Black beans

Refried beans

Lettuce

Tomato

Onion

Guacamole

Sour cream
Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Preheat a skillet or pot with about and inch of oil over med-low heat.

1. In a preheated skillet, toss together onions and garlic over medium heat. Cook until onions become transparent. (This doesn't take too awfullying long, so you will want to babysit this. Plus, if you burn the garlic, you have to start over from scratch.)


2. Add ground meat. (I always use turkey. I started purchasing it because it was cheaper and healthier and now we really don't care for ground beef. LOL.) Cook until meat is browned through. While cooking, break up with spoon/spatula. Remove from heat when done.


3. Wrap tortillas in damp paper towel and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. (It is necessary to heat them up first so they are easier to roll and fold.)


4. Add any fillings you would like. This time around I added about 1 tablespoon of refried beans, 3 tablespoons of cooked turkey and a pinch of cheddar cheese.
5. Fold the tortilla. I tried to find a good diagram on how to effectively fold a tortilla and this is the best I could do. It's apprently from a shirt. LOL. I also secure the "flap" with a tooth pick so that it stays flat. (This is not necessary. This is just to calm my OCD.)

6. Gently place the chimichanga into the oil. Cook until golden. Flip to the other side. Remove from oil. (The trick to keep it from becoming too greasy is to make sure the oil is up to temp and not to over load the pan/pot. When the temperature of the oil drops, the food soaks in more of the oil.) Remove toothpick when slightly cooled.

7. Garnish and plate the chimichanga. (The kiddos love this part. They add only the extra stuff they like and they feel like they accomplished something huge!!) I typically add lettuce, tomato, black beans, onions, a tiny bit of cheese, salsa and a tiny bit of reduced fat sour cream.

8. Eat it up!!!

Ruling: Everyone loves these. D wants them every night of the week, but I am mean and refuse to feed him fried food every day, or every Monday for that matter. The only down side to this meal is reheating. If you nuke the chimichangas, they will not be crisp. You could easily pop them in the oven or even a toaster oven to achieve that crispness.

2 comments:

Crystal Welches said...

MMMMMMM...chimichangas are my favorite mexican food!!! We must think alike...I think if I could have them once a week, I would be in heaven too! Man...I need to know when your fixing those and come to your house for dinner that night...LOL

My Husband's Watching TV... said...

O...M...G! I love Mexican too!!! When can I come over for dinner?!? JK! Looks yummy and the pic was good!