Monday, July 21, 2008

Darn You Broccoli!

I made the mistake of eating two little tiny pieces of cooked broccoli at dinner. I am paying for it now. I understand that it is common for people to be gassy after eating broccoli. I become ill. This is very saddening for me, as I LOVE broccoli. Just for shits and giggles, I typed this into Google "Why does broccoli make me sick?" The second hit was " Does broccoli make my vagina smell?" Well, I'm curious. I must click. I'm thinking you have a stinky snatch because you need to bathe. I'm not an expert though. I read on.....she swears that her boyfriends doodad tastes like cookies if he eats ice cream cones. I think she may need more drugs. I digress.

After quite a bit of research, I have no idea why broccoli does this to me. I asked my doctor years ago. He told me I'm crazy. I eat quite a bit of fiber, so I'm not sure if this is the cause. Cucumbers also cause me to become violently ill. Occasionally, I have troubles with peanuts and peanut butter. I really dislike the fact I cannot eat the foods I enjoy. I suppose it could be that I am just getting old. I don't really like the sound of that. Eek!!!!

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'd be crushed if I couldn't eat broccoli or cucumber! I don't have any reasons for you but its like one of life's greatest mysteries: the smell of your pee after asparagus. Yuck!

Katie said...

That's interesting. My neighbor told me that I couldn't eat broccoli after the baby was born if I was nursing. I guess they have something in them....

Anonymous said...

Probably something to do with needing to get the enzyme balance right in your system. What did you eat with the broccoli? It's not a good idea to mix too many kinds of foods. Our stomachs use different enzymes to digest different things, and when you combine, for example, carbohydrates and meat, your stomach will excrete two different kinds of enzymes to digest each - but the two cancel each other out - which is what causes bloat, among other things. So, if you were eating anything with much starch or dairy along with it, that might be the true culprit and not the broccoli itself.

For more info about enzymes, look up the Raw Food Detox Diet - not to do the diet, but the book has a lot of interesting facts about digestion aside from that.